Instead of using harsh chemicals on your teeth, think about all the natural foods that can whiten your teeth.
- Strawberries. Who doesn’t love these sweet fruits? Strawberries contain malic acid that can remove discoloration from your teeth. You can eat as many of these however you choose and naturally whiten your smile.
- Seeds and nuts. The abrasive texture from most nuts and seeds like sunflower seeds, almonds, walnuts and cashews can act like an exfoliant for your teeth while removing surface stains.
- Onions. Although they’re not the best for your breath, onions contain a sulfuric compound that keep plaque from forming on your teeth, the only downfall is it only works if you eat onions raw. It’s also a good motive to brush your teeth!
- Apples. Biting into apples actually helps strengthen your gums while producing saliva and extra saliva washes away the bacteria that leads to discoloration. An apple a day keeps the dentist away!
- Baking soda. This can actually work as a bleaching agent for your teeth, it contains a form of salt that scrubs off plaque and surface stains. You can use this on your toothbrush and dilute it with some water and your teeth will feel so fresh!
- Celery and carrots. Both of these vegetables are high in water content, producing more saliva and washing away bacteria and surface stains. Not only is it good for your waste line and health, it’s also good for your teeth and strengthening gums!
- Broccoli. Coarse foods can act as a scrubbing agents for your teeth, doesn’t matter how you eat them, as long as it’s raw.
- Cheese. Cheese is full of calcium which has been shown to reduce the loss of minerals from tooth enamel. Just don’t consume too much red wine while snacking on your favorite cheese!
- Oranges. These are not only high in vitamin C, but they help neutralize the the acid in your mouth that can cause decay.
- Water. Be sure to choose still over carbonated, bubbles can erode enamel and harm your teeth. Still water helps after consuming dark, pigmented foods or drinks that cause discoloration.
- Pears. This sweet snack is also good to help neutralize the acid in your mouth that causes decay.
- Milk. Dairy products like yogurt and milk contain lactic acid and the enamel-fortifying mineral calcium, which not only whiten teeth, but strengthen them, too.
You can enjoy healthy snacks while improving the look of your smile. If you’re self conscious of your smile, be sure to call our office 619-276-6884, we can’t wait to help bring your smile back to life!